Monday, July 10, 2006

Sky-mice and somnambulant chickens

Despite having a backyard barely big enough to swing a cat, I have three pet chickens. After much labour, I finally finished putting up the chickenwire fence and bird-netting over the chicken enclosure. Take that sky-rats! Go and steal somebody else's food, you pigeons!

I had barely turned my back for 15 minutes when I discovered dozens of sky-mice in the chicken enclosure. I watched with absolute amazement as these mutant sparrows landed on the chickenwire, and then phased their bodies, passing their molecules through the steel molecules of the wire. I'm pretty sure that's the explanation -- I've looked at the sparrows, and they're too big to fit through the holes in the wire without phasing their molecular structure into an alternate dimension. At least that's how it looks to me.

So it's back to the drawing board. Fortunately the sky-rats don't have mutant superpowers.

And then last night, about midnight, I noticed that Bridget the white fluffy Silkie was sleep-walking. Go figure.

No comments: